Problems with potato boot image / Security problem with man?

Hello again,

1) INSTALLATION WOES
===================

yesterday I installed 2 more sparcstation 5 (image 2.2.15-2000-06-10, taken
from sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch), and encountered the following problems:

	a) when selecting the keyboard (the topmost, SUN US, SUN keymap) error
message:
		"unable to extract sunkeymap.gz from /etc/keymaps.gz"

	b) when I formatted the disk, I was asked whether I wanted to retain
kernel 2.0 compatibility. If I select "no" there,
	the system will later be unable to make linux dirtectly bootable from disk
(ie. install SILO) (".. was unable to make linux bootable form 	disk,
please create a boot floppy") or to create a boot-floppy ("the system was
unable to create a boot floppy, please make sure the 	medium isnt write
protected" (which it wasnt)). When I enable kernel 2.0 compatibility the
errors disappear.

	c) the following error I cannot explain:

	There's the option to get network settings using dhcp, on one of the
machines it was later impossible to mount an NFS volume to get
	the disk images or base system from, the other worked fine. When setting
the values (own ip, netmask, gateway) manually, it worked 	though.  On the
dhcp server the two machines are configured identically.

2) SECURITY ISSUE
On machines installed using the slink image, and upgraded (dist-upgrade) to
potato, and on machines installed using the potato image (version see
above), "man /etc/passwd" will return the contents of said file. I did a
cross-check with a solaris (sunos 5.7) machine, which did not exhibit this
behavior.

Potato on i386 exhibits the same behavior (kernel in use there: 2.2.16)