Re: X on latest potato?

-> From: Rich Sahlender <rsahlen@voicenet.com>
-> To: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
-> Subject: Re: X on latest potato?
->
-> It turns out there was a little more to this than just a symlink
-> for /dev/fb to /dev/fb0. In my case, /dev/fb0 somehow had perms
->
-> crw--w--w-    1 root     tty       29,   0 Mar 30 22:46 /dev/fb0

This looks correct to me, it should be like that, shouldn't it?

->
-> so running X as root worked fine after the symlink but still
-> failed for normal user. Once I added the user to group tty and
-> added read to the group perms X starts fine for normal user.

I think that you were trying to run X as a normal user, which by default
should not happen.  You can overwrite the default by adding "Anybody"
after the line which says /usr/bin/X11/X-something in your
/etc/X11/Xserver file.  However, you are at risk here!  A better option is
to run xdm and let X to be run only by root.

Sergio.