Re: Boot partitions

Hi Daren,

I had similar problems when trying to make a SPARCstation 4 to work with a
4GB disk. The problem here is really the 1GB limit imposed by some Sun
PROMs. I have a hunch that what SILO (the Linux loader for SPARC) couldn't
read (and was complaining loudly about) was the silo.conf configuration
file (yes, unlike LILO's lilo.conf, silo.conf is read at boottime and not
at SILO instalation time).

What I did was to make sure I had by /boot partition below 1GB and then
put the primary and secondary stage SILO loaders (first.b and second.b)
all kernels, (and other OS boot sectors which I wanted to boot with SILO
(I have Solaris 2.5 and 7 here too, for those who care)) AND silo.conf
inside /boot. Then I symlinked /etc/silo.conf to /boot/silo.conf (so that
I can reflexively type "vi /etc/silo.conf" :-) and also so that I wouldn't
need to specify it's location in the SILO command line (the one to
install SILO on the boot sector, inside linux)), and then I reinstalled
SILO (typing "silo" on the linux command line). From this point on, I
could add new kernels and new OSs by just copying the kernels or boot
sectors to /boot and modifiyng /etc/silo.conf (which we all know by now
that it really is /boot/silo.conf). No need to re-run "silo" because it
reads the conf file at boot time, everytime :-) (I'm really sounding like
an infomercial guy by now...)

Anyway, it can all be summed up in one sentence: "keep everything boot
related below 1GB"

	[]'s Leo