Re: Potato Upgrade.

> 1. is that libc6 error a requirement or a recomendation.

Required. I'm not in the habit of forcing failed package installs for
trivial things :) If you don't head that warning, your box will be broken.

> 2. is the 2.2.7 kernel stable enough for production use.

If you are running a 2.0.x kernel on a sparc, you don't really know the
meaning of stable until you upgrade to a 2.2.x (2.2.15 recommended)
kernel. Believe me, the speed and stability improvements are well worth
it. I would do this before upgrading to potato completely:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.15-sun4cdm
(unless you feel more comfortable with compiling your own, then do that)

...reboot, then:

apt-get dist-upgrade

You should be good to go after that. Please report any problems, if any.
I'm assuming from that message above, you are running a sun4m type system.
You should be very happy with the upgrade on that type of system (my
current production LX server, also a sun4m, is very happy with it's 160
day uptime, using potato and 2.2.10 kernel).

Ben