Re: Floppy based install of Debian-Sparc

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:37:59AM -0400, Josh Kuperman wrote:
> I installed Debian Sparc initially by purchasing the CDs and
> installing from the CDs. I have since loaned the CD drive to a
> friend. (I could get it back, easily enough.) After I installed I
> updated to frozen and an SMP kernel. I have another Sparc (only one
> CPU) that I would like to experiment with.  I have my own network for
> all practical purposes.
>
> What is the simplest way to install Debian on a Sparc without a
> CD-ROM. I would need to reformat or at least redo the layout of hard
> disks. I could download images to another machine a PC, the
> abovementioned Debian Sparc installation or a PC Debian Installation,
> or RedHat.  I'm curious because, while I prefer Debian in most
> respects to RedHat, I do see RedHat's ability to install over the
> Internet from a single floppy as a great plus.

You can install Debian over the internet with 2 floppies, or even easier
(same with RedHat) boot from a tftp server using the tftp images. On the
Debian box this is as simple as "apt-get install tftpd".

The install docs explain this in more detail, so you should check them
before proceeding.

Ben