Re: unstable at high traffic

Aaron Solochek <aarons@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>I have a sparcstation5 running potato, and whenever I have a big file
>transfer or something, I develop lots of defunct network processes.
>Things like my imap and ssh servers will die, and the system will need
>to be hard rebooted since it can't shutdown properly.  Is this a
>software or hardware problem?  I'm running kernel 2.2.14.

When did your troubles start ?
The Sparc5 at our lab has also become about unusable from some 2 weeks ago.
It runs kernel 2.2.14 and is apt-updated to frozen weekly.

Since the machine is not much used interactively, I don't know if there are
defunct processes or anything odd happening.
I have no idea what's causing it, but one observable thing (after reboot)is
that /var/log/wtmp has eaten all disk space on / !!
Sadly, the system cannot be telneted or ssh'ed into, and even virtual terminals
don't work anymore....

Any thoughts anyone ?

R.M.

--