Re: Browser for sparc/linux...

Hello,
Please, how can I install Netscape on a frozen/2.2.13 sparc-debian system?

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 08:44:22PM +0100, Cristian Constantin wrote:
> > is netscape available for such a configuration? I mean native linux
> > binaries...
> >
> > or I should emulate some solaris(a.k.a "slowaris") ones?...
> >
> > do I have resonable choices instead of netscape?
>
> You can use mozilla. Or you can download the netscape sources from slink,
> which contain the sparc-linux bins. Netscape removed this a long time ago
> from their ftp (no idea why).
>
> apt-get -b source netscape # assuming you have slink deb-src lines in sources.list
>
>  -----------=======-=-======-=========-----------=====------------=-=------
> /  Ben Collins  --  ...on that fantastic voyage...  --  Debian GNU/Linux   \
> `     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '
>  `---=========------=======-------------=-=-----=-===-======-------=--=---'

I have tried to download/compile Netscape following Ben Collins'
suggestion, however, it does not work. I have tried both stable and frozen
sources. Unfortunately, I have not tracked well all the different problems
I got, but what is clear is that there are problems with missing
dependences.

Also, with my previous stable/2.0.35 installation, I was able to find and
install communicator 4.51 for sparc, downloading it from Netscape site,
however communicator does not work anymore since I have upgraded to
frozen. It is surely a kernel problem, because if a boot the old 3.0.35
kernel, communicator works just fine.
The package I have used is exactly:
"communicator-v451-export_sparc-unknown-linux-2.0.tar.gz" (wew!)

Last but not least, more recent communicator versions for sparc
linux do not appear to exist on Netscape site.

Any help would be very appreciated.
Greets

- Sabino

Sabino Maggi                     !  tel: (+39) 011-3919-436
IEN "G. Ferraris"                !  fax: (+39) 011-3463-84
Strada delle Cacce, 91           !  e-mail: maggi@ien.it
I-10135 Torino, Italy            !