Re: Booting CD-ROM Installation

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Nornet Helpline wrote:

> I have been using Debian on x86 systems for about 3 years and have now
> come into possession of some Sun Sparc5 machines.
> These have no Floppy drive and internal hard disk I have an External
> CD-ROM which I can use to boot into the Solaris installation fine, but
> when I try to boot into the Debian CD(which boots fine on my x86 boxes)
> following the instructions on the Debian on Sparc installation
> site(http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/sparc/ch-install-methods.en.html#s-install-cd)
> it doesnt work.
>
> is a bootable sparc debian cd different to a x86 cd?

The way you phrased that explanation made it seem like you were trying to
use the x86 cd to boot the sparc machine... now, if this is the case, then
that is your problem -- you need the sparc specific dist cd. If that is
not the case, then I apologise for being pedantic. Assuming that the boot
prom knows where the bootable cdrom is, you may have a bad cd. Make sure
that the cdrom device is at scsi ID 6 if you have the defaults set on the
boot prom.

Brian
fade@etc.etc.etc.

How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for
somewhere else..
                                       -- R. Buckminster Fuller