Re: Weitek Power uP Processor

Tad,

At 13:01 29/01/00 -0500, Tad Bilby wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 05:36:17PM +0100, Georges A. Tomazi wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if someone ran successfully "slink" or "potato" on an IPX
> > box with a Weitek Power uP processor ? Just wanted to be sure before buying
> > it, as I've seen in the Usenet news a message from someone having trouble
> > booting his SPARC/Linux system since he made that upgrade.
>
> I have run slink and potato on my Sparc Station 2 w/Weitek Power-UP...
> It seems to be OK, it was quite awhile ago that that CPU caused problems
> from what I've read.

You have to have the right revision of the Weitek, can't tell you what the right
one is until I get back to work.
The later revisions work great.

What do you mean by "later revisions" ? Do you have a date or a reference number ? There is a hardware broker advertising on the net a second hand Power uP for $100, while a brand new is about $195. So to make sure to get the right one a revision date/number would be very helpful.

BTW, I experienced a while ago the performance increase on an IPX running Solaris 2.5, but what about Linux ? Is it really worth buying that upgrade ?

Thanks,

Georges

--
Georges A. Tomazi <gt@4js.com>