Re: sparc installation

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 06:58:53PM +0900, Ragga Muffin wrote:

> Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> wrote:
>
> >in the worst case, i will install slink and then try to update.
>
> This works very well, with one caveat. Slink comes with kernel 2.2.1
> and you won't be able to upgrade to potato (the installer complains
> that you need at least kernel 2.2.7)
> What I did was install a very small slink system including the compiler.
> Then grabbed a new kernel, compiled and went on to upgrade to potato.
> It was quite a breeze.
> Beware though that there are still problems with certain packages
> on potato.

A) You can always upgrade the kernel first. I just uploaded 2.2.14 images
   yesterday.

B) This only affects sun4m systems (sparc 5, 10, 20, etc...). Sun4c and
   Sun4u do not exhibit the problem and only require a >= 2.2.0 kernel.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '