Re: SLC nfsroot install report (Re: ANN: new boot disks to test)

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 01:51:48AM +0100, Joost Kooij wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > Ok, at http://xia01.kachinatech.com/~buildd/sparc-2.2.14-potato-boot/current
> > you will find the latest set of boot disks.
>
> They work!  Yay!

Excellent, thank you for the rather extensive report. I'll try to address
each problem. Most of these I already noticed. I also succesfully
installed from NFSROOT to an NFSROOT on this UltraSPARC. What I really
need to add is an option to mount an NFS for the target, that we you wont
have to do it manually.

> resumes from the break, the kernel detects the keyboard.  Could this be a
> submodel problem or a particular hardware problem? (I did once replace a
> dead buffer ic on the SLC's mainboard to get the keyboard working at all.)
> My prom version is reported a 1.4 on the prom banner.

Not sure, I'll have to check into that one.

> I got the tftpboot.img in place in /tftpboot, set up rarp entries and
> booted the SLC from the net.  It failed to even boot and died with
> "Illegal Instruction".

This might be because of the decompression required. You were right to use
the linux-a.out images.

> I configured the keyboard and got another error: it couldn't create a
> file.  The problem turned out to be the fact the root fs was mounted ro.
> mount /dev/root / -n -o remount,rw fixed that.  After repeating the
> keyboard setup, it seemed to stick (well, not really as it wanted to
> configure the keyboard again upon first reboot of the base system.)

I think I have this fixed, and it shouldn't be a problem in the next set.

> On another note, the prom console is S L O W , especially on a SLC.
> Running top on the console takes >75% system resources..  I'm lucky to
> have owned a Commodore 64 and to have once been amazed at the speed of the
> 1541 disk drive.  It made sitting through the install a little more
> bearable ;-)

The sun4cdm kernel should use the framebuffer console. Hopefully it is a
little faster than the PROM console.

> The menu selection is slightly off:  there is no reverse video bar, just a
> cursor that appears one line too high.  Only the module configuration
> dialogs get it right, although it too has quirks, the screen is cleared
> twice inbetween screens (takes a long time on my machine, so I noticed
> that particularly.)

This is probably because of the black-on-white of the console, while
dboostrap is expecting white-on-black. Not sure if there is a way around
this. The slink boot floppies use to have "color" "not color" choice at
the start of dbootstrap.

> Generally, http proxy failed, because a DNS name resolution is attempted
> on the hostname in the url to be requested at the proxy.  I'm behind
> (several) firewalls and cannot resolve external hosts.  I had to download
> using netscape and put the files on a local http server.

The http install method is rather new. I'm sure it can use some cleaning
up and enhancing.

> could not find /etc/inittab.  Upon inspection on the nfs-server, I found a
> file /etc/inittab.real instead.  I renamed it and booted again, it worked.

There is supposed to be a normal inittab. I already fixed this problem for
the next set. Most likely without the stub inittab, somethings on your
system were not setup completely.

> At boot, kerneld seems to get started, even though I'm running a 2.2
> kernel.  Perhaps a /proc problem?

Package problem with modutils, maintainer is aware.

> The console is somewhat broken.  I cannot start dselect, for example, it
> dies with "Error opening terminal: linux".

Hmm, maybe ncurses is missing some things :/

> The default /etc/apt/sources.list uses "stable" urls.  This will break
> upon release in the non-us case, because in the to-be-stable potato, the
> directory layout is different from still-stable slink.  I noticed this
> after I changed the urls to point to unstable trees.

Yeah, most than likely these should be changed to "potato" URI's.

> Apt-get works.  But dpkg sometimes fails, I suspect this is related to
> out-of-memory situations.  When I run dpkg with a -D22 option, it works
> flawlessly, perhaps because the console output makes it go so slow.

There is a lowmem option to dpkg, you can add dpkg options to
/etc/apt/apt.conf (man apt.conf).

> > Any one who had problems before, please let me know how these do.
>
> They're great!  At last I can boot Linux on the SLC and I'm pleased that
> Debian is the first to get it working.  The whole familiarity of the
> installation interface, the Debian GNU/Linux system, apt-get, all that
> stuff that I'm used to have on x86 systems, it is all there, on this
> pretty ancient (10 yrs old) SparcStation SLC - I'm impressed!

Excellent, good to hear :)

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '