Re: Problems with SILO (Sparc slink)

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 05:43:17PM +0100, Detlev Zundel wrote:
> Ah - this reminds me - the explanation of "hiding" the online help for
> the fdisk `s' command seems completely besides the point to me.  Why
> shouldn't we then hide the man-page for `rm' or other potential
> dangerous things??  Is the consensus of this list that this is ok or
> should I file a bug report against fdisk?

It'll be fixed in potato. Eric Delaunay is working on it.

> Ok, I have two remaining problems:
>
> The 2.0.34 kernel initialized the text mode correctly as opposed to
> the 2.2.13 kernel.  The difference can be seen in the log messages:
>
> 2.0.34 kernel:
> Dec  9 22:37:23 poc kernel: Console: 16 point font, 864 scans
> Dec  9 22:37:23 poc kernel: Console: mono SUN 128x54, 1 virtual console (max 63)
>
> 2.2.13 kernel:
> Dec 14 12:55:12 poc kernel: Console: colour dummy device 80x25
>
> How can I get the new kernel to do the same initialization?  The
> difference for me is that I cannot see the leftmost 4 characters on
> each line... (and the Sun btw supports no color)

Which kernel options did you select for the Sparc console fonts support ?

> The other problem is to get X running - As the IPC uses the BWtwo
> framebuffer I thought I could fix it by applying the patch from the
> Ultralinux FAQ to the kernel but the patch is already in there.  So
> I'll better show how X fails:
>

> PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>

> I have the xfonts-pex package installed which owns a file
> `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX/Roman_M.phont'.  Unfortunately I cannot
> strace the X server as strace dies like this:
>
> open("/etc/ld.so.preload", O_RDONLY)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY)      = 3
> open("/lib/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY)        = 3
> open("/etc/X11/Xserver", O_RDONLY)      = 3
> syscall: unknown syscall trap 9c23a018 e0002cc0

Are you running slink or potato ? What's the content of /etc/X11/Xserver
and could you retry the strace as root ?

Greetings,

				Christian
--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de