Re: DOSEMU

On Fri, 03 Dec 1999 16:57:56 -0500 (EST), Matthew Haas wrote:
> Yes, I know DOSEMU is largely x86 dependant. Nonetheless, I am wondering
> if anyone has ever gotten it to run on non-x86 machines. I seem to
> remember reading a while back talk of people running it on an Alpha...
>
> Anywho... I am currently playing with 0.64.4, mainly because it's the
> oldest copy I could find (less x86 specific features). My problem is that
> it is requiring as86 and ld86 ... is there a package available with these
> (I saw an m68k binutils... would it be in the multiarch?)... I just want
> to see how far I can get with it... be nice to play some of my old DOS
> games again on my LX without giving up too much speed.

DOSemu 0.64.4 is actually very x86 specific: it uses the vm86 system call
directly. The newer versions (0.98 and 0.99) also do that, but they have
less x86 dependencies and have a generally cleaner architecture.

You might be interested to know that Alberto Vignani (vignani@tin.it) is
working on a CPU emulator for DOSemu. I don't know about the current
state, but you can get his patch against DOSemu 0.99.12.2 from
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/7677/ .

Erik
(once a DOSemu hacker, nowadays a dosemu-development list lurker)

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl