Re: 2.2.1 boot problem - missing scsi disk

> I have a system with a Cycle 5 board (Sparc 5 clone) that has two SCSI disks -
> targets 3 & 4 with slink installed on both disks.  When I boot kernel 2.0.35,
> all works fine.  But when I install the 2.2.1 kernel on my main disk (target 3)
> and then boot, the boot goes fine until where it is scanning the SCSI bus for
> disks - and all it sees is target 4, which it then treats as /dev/sda and the
> boot sequence fails.  When I go back to 2.0.35, all is fine (target 3 is sda,
> target 4 is sdb).
>
> Is this a known problem that is fixed in a later version of the 2.2 kernel?

To discover why 2.2.1 can't see one of your discs it might be helpful
if you could quote what the kernel says as it detects the SCSI devices
in each case (dmesg when it boots; copy from the screen otherwise, I
suppose).

To boot with just the one disc it would be good if there were a way of
getting the kernel to recognise target 4 as /dev/sdb even when target 3
is not detected by supplying a cunning argument at the SILO prompt.
Does anyone know how to do this?

I glanced through http://www.linuxhq.com/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-4.html
without seeing a solution, but I did see something else which might be
helpful for some people: apparently you can specify "max_scsi_luns=1".

Edmund