Re: OTS: Need Help: Solaris + Sparc + Network Install + Linux

Quoting Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat@nag.cs.colorado.edu>:
> 	Ok, I will try 2.2.x. I just updated my P100 to Debian 2.1
> yesterday, so it should be interesting to see how it handles the jump to
> 2.2.x. A prelimary look at the required program versions show that
> everything on my system is up to date. I guess I just compile, install,
> reboot and cross my fingers! :)
> 	I will try it this evening. Thanks for your help!

Be advised, though, that you'll need more than just compiling the new
kernel.  You'll need to upgrade some packages to get the system working
OK (modutils come to mind but you'll need more, check
http://www.linuxhq.com for a list).  The problem is that then you won't
be able to use the old kernel, since the new packages will break it.  I
had this problem with the modutils package, and I solved it by deleting
the old kernel.  If you depend on it for something, though, you have to
be careful (maybe installing a new root partition including the upgraded
/sbin, /bin).  Is anybody out there working with two kernels, one 2.0.X
and other 2.2.X?  I'd be interested to know what one should do to get
them working together.  Regards,

--
Hermano Cabral