kbdrate/pdksh/kernel?

I have been using Debian on 486's for several years -- love it!

Being new to sparc and this list, sorry if my questions have been
asked and answered before.

I have loaded Debian 2.1, slink, kernel 2.0.35 on a Sun IPX sparc
(sun4c) workstation; unbelievably flawless!!!!! Apt worked perfect
and updated all the necessary packages and allowed me to add th ones
I wanted. WOW, I am immpressed!

Now a few problems I hope someone can help with:

The keyboard rate (type 4 kbd) is way to fast.  Kbdrate -d xxx;
reports success but doesnt change the keyboard delay rate.
(It does on the intel boxes)

Next problem once the kernel starts to load the monitor (1663B)
changes to very small letters, the screen dimensions are something
like 140x64 instead of the standard 80x34.

Both the screen size and keyboard rate are fine (perfect) during
the open boot firmware stage but change after the kernel boots.

Next problem, the (pd)ksh (my favorite shell) reports:
"ksh: Symbol 'sys_siglist' has different size in shared object,
consider re-linking"
so.......... I downloaded the pdksh source and compiled it anew;
compiled without errors or warnings BUT the newly compiled ksh
reports 'Memory Error'and obviously doen't run.

Finally, when attempting to recompile the kernel (2.0.35);
make menuconfig reports configuration errors and aborts.
Doing 'make config' does work, BUT 'make zImage' or 'make linux'
or 'make vmlinux' or 'make vmlinuz' all report no target.

Any help, clues or referral to docs would be great!!!

Thanx guys, if you prefer to email, reply to:
chris@datamark.com

Paul "Chris" Salva, DMD   paul@datamark.com  -or-  chris@datamark.com
                            --
     "Who is like Thee among the gods, O Lord? Who is like
      Thee, majestic in holiness, awesome in praises,