Thanks: X works as root, not as user

Thanks to all who replied with the /dev/fb0 permissions suggestions, I was
able to get X working by fixing these permissions.

There were suggestions that this should be included in a FAQ.  I thought
for the sake of reference I should mention that  the first place I looked
was the release-notes at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/release-notes/index perhaps
this info belongs in there?  Is the maintainer of these notes subscribed?

Also thanks to the person who suggested installing xfonts-base to correct
the font errors I was getting.  Unfortunately, I have that package already
installed, so this is not the problem, but I am not worried about these
messages as X still works as expected anyway.

I appreciate the great advice!

-Dano