Re: new bootdisks uploaded

Yes, you're quite right (and so were the several others who wrote).  NFS
mounts take a few seconds longer than with the other installation image,
and this, the error message, and also the message that the installation
program couldn't find resc1440-2.2.1.bin (I had - [blush] - named it
resc1440.bin, as the other file had been) led me to the premature
conclusion that the mount wasn't working.  At my advanced age, I should
really have learned the virtues of patience.

Everything seems to work quite well; there are, however, a few things
which are less than perfect, and might be easy to fix (but then again,
they might not):

There are quite a number of error messages from modprobe ("can't locate
module block-major-3") which scatter themselves across the installation
screen at several points during the installation; the serial ports still
seem unhappy when the installation is finished (probably a non-trivial
task); and the standard installation packages want to install the
kernel-headers-2.0.35, which might not make any difference, but is
something to think about.  Probably somebody already has several clever
packages prepared...  And rebooting sometimes fails with several screens
full of SCSI error messages (which might be attributed to the old drive
I've put into the machine to test the installation, but Daniel U. also
reported some problems).  I also don't seem to have a System.map; probably
this gets done after reinstalling a packaged kernel, or compiling a new
one.

Some of the "problems" are thus only cosmetic, while others might need a
bit of investigation when there's no need to meet a deadline.

Best wishes!