while installing, can't get swapon to work for sun4u

On my Sun4u (Ultra5) I've been unable to get 'swapon' to work.
I've tried the following:

  * leaving it as a solaris swap type
  * making it a linux swap type
  * playing around with the mountable flag
  * playing around with the readonly flag (this had been a SunOS swap
    partition, and it came with the readonly flag set -- 'u' in fdisk)

The partition is 154035k, bigger than linux can use.  Still, it should
work (mkswap makes it smaller).   mkswap works fine, but swapon just
says 'invalid argument'.

This even happens if I make another, say, 90M swap partition from scratch,
set to linux swap type, no flags, mkswap it, then run swapon -- again,
"invalid argument".

Any clues?