Serial Configuration

Hi,

Using minicom, I have isolated the slow serial line problem to
computational load.  On my 1+, which is a pretty slow machine, I can run
the serial port at 19200 and 38400 without any problems (both hardware and
software flow control work) from a virtual console without X running and
reall nothing else going on.  From an xterm, I get serial overrun errors
reported from the kernel.  Also, if I start a tedious process (such as a
find process), this screws up everything and I begin to get serial overrun
errors too, even without running X.

Apparently, the serial lines only work properly at high speeds when there
is no computational load, since even just running X (which takes 20% CPU
on my machine) causes serial overruns.

I still don't really have a way to get around the problem though.  Any
ideas here are appreciated.

By the way, has anyone tried high speed serial (19200 or 38400) on an IPC?

Jake Griesbach
University of Colorado