Re: Problems with SILO (Sparc slink)

Hi,

thanks to the quick help from this list I managed to get my IPC
working by now.  Even the booting problem is resolved.

For the (improbable) case that someone else experiences similar
problems I'll give a short summary:

As I remembered seeing the IPC trying to boot from sd(0,0,0) when the
internal disk was defect I installed the new disk with SCSI-ID 0.  I
was able to boot from disk and install everything but OpenBoot firmly
rejected to see the disk at boot time.  In the end I rejumpered it to
ID 1 and by now I can boot from hard disk...  Was this my stupidity or
is this normal??

Ah - this reminds me - the explanation of "hiding" the online help for
the fdisk `s' command seems completely besides the point to me.  Why
shouldn't we then hide the man-page for `rm' or other potential
dangerous things??  Is the consensus of this list that this is ok or
should I file a bug report against fdisk?

Ok, I have two remaining problems:

The 2.0.34 kernel initialized the text mode correctly as opposed to
the 2.2.13 kernel.  The difference can be seen in the log messages:

2.0.34 kernel:
Dec  9 22:37:23 poc kernel: Console: 16 point font, 864 scans
Dec  9 22:37:23 poc kernel: Console: mono SUN 128x54, 1 virtual console (max 63)

2.2.13 kernel:
Dec 14 12:55:12 poc kernel: Console: colour dummy device 80x25

How can I get the new kernel to do the same initialization?  The
difference for me is that I cannot see the leftmost 4 characters on
each line... (and the Sun btw supports no color)

The other problem is to get X running - As the IPC uses the BWtwo
framebuffer I thought I could fix it by applying the patch from the
Ultralinux FAQ to the kernel but the patch is already in there.  So
I'll better show how X fails:

PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I have the xfonts-pex package installed which owns a file
`/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX/Roman_M.phont'.  Unfortunately I cannot
strace the X server as strace dies like this:

open("/etc/ld.so.preload", O_RDONLY)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY)      = 3
open("/lib/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY)        = 3
open("/etc/X11/Xserver", O_RDONLY)      = 3
syscall: unknown syscall trap 9c23a018 e0002cc0

Although this is probably a debian-user question I dare to ask
here....

Thanks for any help
  Detlev

P.S: Please CC me as I am not subscribed to debian-sparc

--
The  mathematician's patterns,  like the  painter's or  the poet's,  must be
beautiful;  the ideas, like the colours or the words, must fit together in a