Re: Problems with SILO (Sparc slink)

In a message dated 12/13/99 4:15:26 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
nejedlo@cs.wisc.edu writes:

> I guess it could be fixed in either 2 ways:
>  - add some obscure option to fdisk telling it to treat non Sun disklabel
the
>    same way as blank disk
>
>  not a bad idea
>
>  - or check for a Sun disklabel before calling fdisk, zeroes the partition
> table
>    if not found, then call fdisk.
>
>  VERY bad idea.  I would think that modifying the disk before someone says
>  "yes, change the partition table"  is the Wring Thing (tm).

Agreed.  I had this problem first hand being a SPARC hardware newbie a few
months back.  It took me awhile to figure this out by myself before I could
boot from disk.

Simply make the "s" option always visible.  I see no circumstances where you
would want it not user visible anyway.  You can ALWAYS use it, just not
always see it as an option.

Remember what distribution this is and the platform.  I use Debian on the
SPARC because I want to get down and dirty with this thing.  You do not
exactly go down to your local Radio Shack or Best Buy to get a SPARCstation.
Give the options to the user.

Jesse Molina-Lanners            LannerHawk@aol.com
Phoenix Arizona