Re: Problems with SILO (Sparc slink)

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> You'll need to put a new disk label on the drive.  The OpenBoot PROM
> expects a Sun disk label.  Otherwise you can't boot from it.  The kernel
> will still understand the i386 disk label fine, but I assume you'd like
> to be able to boot it.  This is probably what is causing your problems
> with SILO, cause I bet SILO assumes a sun disk label and gets rather confused.
>
> I believe it's option s to put a new sun disk label in fdisk.  Try that.

Hmm, I just checked with the fdisk that's on the machine right now.
There's `b' for a Bsd label, `o' for a DOS table and `g' for an IRIX
partition but nothing like a Sun disk label.  I did look for this the
first time around but as I couldn't find it then I just went ahead.

What exactly do I need to put a Sun disk label on my disk?  Solaris?? I
hope not :)

Thanks
  Detlev

--
vi vi vi - the roman numeral of the beast.