Re: Problems with SILO (Sparc slink)

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Detlev Zundel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I ran this against `debian-user' but to no avail.  So I'll try again
> at this more specific place.  Thanks for any help...
>
> I just got hold of an old Sparc IPC that nobody used anymore and tried
> to install Debian on it after swapping the defective first hard disk
> with an old scsi disk lying around (with an old i386 Debian on it..)
>

> I am also a bit confused about the "whole disk" partition memtioned in
> the (short) silo docs.  As my disk was used on i386 Debian before I
> left the partitioning alone /dev/sda1 -> /, /dev/sda2 -> swap (both
> primary partitions).  Did I miss something here?
>
> When I now boot with the newly created boot floppy, I tried entering
> `sd(0)/vmlinuz' at the prompt but OpenBoot complained about sd0 not
> responding.  I thought I should be able to boot a kernel on sda1 at
> the silo prompt.  Is this not so?

You'll need to put a new disk label on the drive.  The OpenBoot PROM
expects a Sun disk label.  Otherwise you can't boot from it.  The kernel
will still understand the i386 disk label fine, but I assume you'd like
to be able to boot it.  This is probably what is causing your problems
with SILO, cause I bet SILO assumes a sun disk label and gets rather confused.

I believe it's option s to put a new sun disk label in fdisk.  Try that.

--Kurt