Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Sun screens on PCs?

Lalo Martins wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 09:51:36AM +0200, Jonas Majauskas wrote:
> >
> >   You can always try to use framebuffer console. In this way you can
> > use your own video modes. But your video card must be supported...
>
> Ok, update
>
> I found out the monitor is a GDM-1962-B. It works in fixed
> sync. I found lots of webpages on the subject. It also uses
> something called ``composite sync'', meaning, different from PC
> monitors, it doesn't receive separate H and V sync signals. So
> I need a video card that supports both fixed sync and composite
> sync. I've been told that ATI Graphics Expression, Xpert@Play
> and RageII, and Matrox Millenium all can do that.

Composite sync could be generated with a very small circuit (one linear
transistor, one XOR and few resistors).
Don't remember exactly how to do it, but I connected an Apollo fixed sync
monitor to my PC box with one I built in the past.  I don't have it handy now
because I gave it to a friend of mine.
Search for the Apollo FAQ.  I got it there.

btw, you can use svgatextmode to create a text mode with the right refresh
rate.  It supports kind of modelines like Xfree.

Regards.