slink problems on Sparc 5

I am running Debian 2.1 (slink) from a CD-ROM set I got from Linux
Central on a 110Mhz Sparc 5. I am running the Sparc as a masquerading/
firewalling internet server, distributing a DSL connection and a single
static IP to two other hosts on an Ethernet lan.

While the Sparc is apparently stable and doing what I need it to do, I've
noticed two anomalies:

1) When I invoke vi from an xterm, after I exit vi, the cursor does not
reset itself to the first unused line on the screen. Instead, it seems to
repaint the screen I had before running vi, and the cursor goes to the top
line of the old screen, in the middle of old text. This is annoying, but
minor.

2) More seriously, if I set dselect to retrieve packages from
ftp.debian.org instead of the CD set, I get version inconsistencies that
won't let me exit cleanly from package selection in dselect. Changing the
access method back to CD-ROM resolves the problem.

Since the Sparc is an essential component of my internet connectivity,
and I have not yet devised a backup strategy for it, I am a little
reluctant to experiment too much, but it does seem to me that I should be
able to count on consistency from a "stable" release served from the
distribution's home site.

Walter Keeler                          *  If my words did glow...    *