Re: Where is sparc64-linux-ld?

On Sun, Sep 05, 1999 at 11:38:47PM +0200, Eric Delaunay wrote:
> Not really useful (could be ln -s /usr/sparc-linux . ?)
> In effect, ld on sparc32 arch tries to create sparc32 binaries, not sparc64
> ones unless "-m elf64_sparc" is provided on the command line.
> The makefiles in linux kernel sources tree don't call ld like above but just
> sparc64-linux-ld.  Therefore I have had to replace the link with a script to
> put the -m argument in front of the command line.

I'm using kernel-package and the only thing I have linked is /usr/sparc-linux to "."
else when supplying elf64_sparc, it can't find the linker scripts (bug in binutils
IMO). The names of the bintutils that the kernel looks for for sparc64 is just a side
affect of how the people doing the development had their systems setup (which is why
kernel-package passes args to the make to overrride the defaults so that it works
properly, except for the sparc-linux link). However on my system, even the standard
kernel make adds -melf64_sparc to the linker command line.

> I could say this a bug because sparc64-linux-ld should always create sparc64
> binaries, not sparc32 ones by default, unless -m elf32_sparc is provided on the
> command line.
> I don't know however where to fix it: no package provide sparc64-linux-xxx
> alternatives yet (good candidate could be egcs64).

Once I get this gcc setup, egcs64 will soon become obsolete. Until then it should
serve to build sparc64 kernels (using the sparc-linux link and kernel-package).

Ben