Re: SUN MONITOR MANUAL WANTED!!

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:57:20 +0200 (SAT), Sun wrote:
> Erik Mouw writes:
>  > BTW: The 13W3 connector *is* standard, but the pinout *is not*! Be careful
>  > that you have a VGA --> 13W3 connector for Sun, the ones for NeXT, SGI,
>  > and PowerPC won't work.
>
> Hmmmm.... Interesting, as I've connected a Sun 21" (Year old model) to
> an SGI (Indy) via the 13w3 adapter with trouble...
>
> You mean that I could perhaps have damaged my monitor or the SGI
> Indy??

Very unlikely. I did the same without damaging anything.

Maybe this helps: Try to find two 13W3 cables, two 13W3 --> 4x BNC
adapters (R, G, B, CSync; came with lots of old Sparc IPCs), and three BNC
adapters with 2x male on each side. Connect the monitor in the following
way (sorry for the long line):

Indy ==> 13W3 cable ==> 13W3-4xBNC ==> 3x 2xBNC male  ==> 4xBNC-13W3 ==> 13W3 cable ==> SUN monitor
13W3                     adapter        connect R,G,B      adapter                       13W3
                                       but *not* CSync

In this way you will only connect R, G, and B. The Indy will detect that
the monitor doesn't use CSync and will it will switch to Sync-on-Green. It
also won't detect the monitor type, so it will switch to 1024x768@70Hz.

Assuming you'r running IRIX 5.x or 6.x, login as root, do "/usr/gfx/setmon
1280x1024_76" to switch to 1280x1024@76Hz (see /usr/gfx/ucode/NG1/vof/ for
other video modes). You will have another resolution, but X won't use it.
Log out, rlogin/telnet to the machine, become root, and do
"/etc/init.d/xdm stop ; /etc/init.d/xdm start" to re-initialize X. I hope
your Sun monitor is autosync... ;-)

This works for me with a standard 19" Iiyama monitor, YMMV of course.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl