apt ftp method dying after upgrade

Hi there,

I've just upgraded my SS5 to glibc 2.1.1 and kernel 2.2.10 from stock
slink, I also upgraded apt to 0.3.6. During this process, apt has
broken. Attempting to do an update or install produces the following
error:
  E: Method ftp has died unexpectedly!

It was Working Okay Before(tm) and network connectivity is also fine. I
can ftp to the target mirror okay from the command line and as ususal,
everything else appears to be working fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Michael.

--
? Michael Gratton - mike@vee.net
! "So, what's the deal with Auntie Gerschwitz et all?"