Re: SQ: Virtual Terminal Switching on a Sun...

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> 	Ok, this has to be in an FAQ somewhere, but I can't find it. I
> just finished installing Linux on a Sparc ELC, but try as I may, I can't
> figure out how to switch virtual terminals. The standard Alt+Fn just
> results in a beep from the computer and a capital letter at the prompt.
> What is the magic incantation to switch virtual terminals on a Sparc?

	Replying to my own message here....
	After a bit more hacking around, the problem is a bit more major
it appears. Running 'showkey' and pressing any of the keys: Control, Alt,
<> (the diamond key, left or right), or AltGraph; results in no display of
keycodes on the screen. All of the other keys on the keyboard give keycode
response upon pressing them.
	For now I have remapped the virtual terminals swapping to the
Stop, Again, Props, Undo, etc... keys, and Control to the Compose key. A
bit different then normal, but livable.
	So, does any one have any clue what is up with my Control, Alt,
etc... keys? I am running kernel 2.0.35 with a Sparc 5 keyboard which as
far as I know has all keys working (bought it used, never tested on
another machine). Thouse keys feel fine when pressed, so I am guessing it
is a kernel issue, though the kernel messages state that it detected a sun
Type 5 keyboard.
	Thanks for any help you can give me!

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | rkirkpat@nag.cs.colorado.edu  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |