ypbind hangs with IRIX NIS server

</lurk>

Hi all,

I recently installed debian-sparc 2.1 on a Sparc station IPC. Installing
it was as simple as installing debian-i386, you did a good job.

However, when I installed the NIS package and configured the machine to be
a NIS client for an SGI IRIX 6.4 NIS server, it hangs on starting ypbind.
I've booted in single user mode, disabled the NIS client and restarted the
machine. When I tried to start /etc/init.d/nis by hand, ypbind fails at
first (had to kill), but when I start it for the second time, everything
went OK and the machine was nicely humming in the NIS domain.

I tried to explicitly put the name of the ypserver (and also the ypdomain)
in /etc/yp.conf, but that didn't fix the problem.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug in the ypbind binary?

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl