Re: SILO won't load images

On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 04:06:52PM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Hm. It sounds as though there is something seriously wrong with your
> vmlinux. When you built it, did you have any unusual binutils
> installed, like a cross-compiler or something?
I'm just using out-of-the-box stuff off of an offical slink cd (though it
never asked for the seconds disc...).

> I would try comparing the vmlinux you made with Debian's vmlinux using
> nm, objdump, etc, to see if there is something obviously strange about
> it. Even "file vmlinux" might tell you something.
nm printed info for all three kernels (many, many pages worth), which
appears to be pretty much the same (though debian's kernel was gzip'd w/o
a gzip extension, so I had to give it one temporarily). The only
difference file reports is that my kernel is not statically linked, is
this a problem? (Also, none of the kernels are not stripped, is it safe do
so? How would you do so?)

> A SPARCstation 2, sun4c, is exactly what I have at home with only 32 MB
> memory; I built a 2.2.7 that worked, running slink. So I'm curious to
> know why yours isn't working ...
Yes, me too . . .

thanks for the help,
--