SILO won't load images

I'm trying to get silo to load kernels which I've made for my sparc
(sun4c, a ss2) but silo seems to simply not do it, though it does load
debian's kernel just fine.

I make a kernel on the sparc and did a "make vmlinux", then gzip'd it, put
it in /boot, and entered it into /etc/silo. Upon booting and silo's prompt
when I enter the image's name silo dies. I have two kernels I'm trying
(one of arund 700k gzip'd and one around 900k gzip'd). The 700k kernel
say's "Uncompressing..." for a bit, slows down (the little spinner that
is), the says
"Fatal error: Cannont find a loadable segmet in your ELF image
Program terminated"
leaving me at an ok prompt. The larger kernel shows that it is
uncompressing, the spinner slows down, the says:
"Decompression error: uncompressed image too long - woudln't fin into
destination". What does this really mean? (It should have to do with disk
space or ram, as I have several hundred megs of hard drive free and 64
megs ram.) Oh yes, I'm trying to build a 2.2.9 kernel and the machine in
question is running slink (r0). Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

thanks!
--
Chris
<- Visit Me At <http://www.frostnet.advicom.net/chris/> ->