Serial ports and disk problems

I have 2.1 installed on my IPX 4/50 but it cant seem to see the serial
ports.  setserial just pops up an error message about not being able
to find them.  I know they're functional since they work under Solaris.

Disk problem:  I'm trying to install 2.1 on another IPX 4/50 configured
identically to the one above.  However, during the scsi probe, the hard
drive isn't detected.  The drive works because Solaris (which came
preinstalled) boots just fine.  Any ideas anyone?