Re: nis

* Christian Prevedello (plasma@chiara.dei.unipd.it) wrote:
> Installing the new glibc and the new nis packages hasn't fixed
> (unfortunately) the ybind problem.  Here are the bheaviour.
> If i've clients and the server on the same subnet and i run ypbind
> on clients with -broadcast option, everything works perfectly.
> If my server is on a different subnet i must specify the server name
> throught the ypserver directive in /etc/yp.conf on my clients. In
> this case the ypbind fail to do the binding with the server (even if
> it pings correctly).

Yes, I have the exact same problem, and I was (incorrectly) told that
ypbind-mt 1.4 fixes this, but I guess it doesn't.  I'm fortunate in
that my NIS server is on the same subnet, but I'm still forced to use
-broadcast -debug to force ypbind to work at all.  Even then, it
starts running away and eventually using up 100% of the CPU if I also
don't specify the -no_ping option.

So, the SPARC version of the nis package is still broken.

Max

--
The hopeful depend on a world without end
Whatever the hopeless may say