Re: KDE 1.1 on debian/sparc

[repost: original sent on 27th.April, but had problems getting through]
In a message dated 23/04/99  19:09:17, Steve Dunham wrote:

> Rick Tan <Rick.Tan@Eng.Sun.COM> writes:
>
>> Is KDE 1.1 available for debian/sparc?  If so, where can one get the
>> packages?
>
> I don't even think it's available for i386 at the moment.  Aside from
> not being free, it's not entirely clear whether it is legal to
> distribute or not.

My understanding is that it's completely legal to distribute, due
to the Qt authors having announced an "open" style license (disagree ?). I
think the issue is that the new license conditions don't quite tally with
Debian's definition of "free".

> Even if there were i386 packages, there probably wouldn't be any sparc
> packages because of lack of resources and interest.  (The sparc people
> are busy compiling other things.)

What - like X and Gnome ?  I appreciate that the Sparc people are mucho busy,
but I think there would be a *lot* of interest in KDE-for-Sparc. In
particular, we'd be
interested, as we run a Sparcstation 20 under Redhat-sparc 4.2 at work, and
need to update to a more up-to-date Linux. I'm *really* hoping it will
provide KDE for Sparc. The RH6.0 announcement does mention both KDE and Gnome.

Of course, if Sparc Slink were production-ready, I'd rather go with that
(that's why I read this list), but it doesn't seem to be. Am I wrong ?

I don't have the skills to help out, so I'm afraid I'm just lurking here.

> There are, however, some gnome 1.0 packages, which took a bit of
> effort to compile.  I encourage everyone .. [snip]

Everyone seems to be saying Gnome 1.0 has been a bit premature ...

Not being a tad partisan here are we ?

Cheers,
Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK