Re: Broken loop device

Hello Andreas,

  sorry for the late reply, I was too busy to read all my emails last week :-(

How many memory is installed in your SLC ?
The diskless installation is requiring more memory space than other types of
installation due to the fact that it has to download in a ramdisk the rescue
disk before installing kernel on the target (same for drivers disk) [*].
In effect, it creates a 1.44MB ramdisk.
All installations I tried were on 16MB or more sparcs.
Is your SLC only 4 or 8 MB equipped ?

Moreover, the sparclinux kernel compiled in Debian does not provide swap on
NFS.  So you are unlikely to use your SLC if it has too few memory [**]

Regards.

[*] Rescue image have to be loaded in a ramdisk before mounting it because the
  loop device is broken over NFS (mount -t loop server:/path/to/image /mnt
  seems to work but further reads from /dev/loopN fail).
  This is why you see the message "broken loop device detected...".
  If installing on a local harddisk, the image could be copied on the harddisk
  before mounting it, thus not requiring so many memory filled up by the
  ramdisk.

[**] Such a patch could exists somewhere on the net...