Re: glibc 2.1.1 linking problems

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 02:38:35PM -0700, Alex Romosan wrote:
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>

> > Kernel version? Previous libc6 version? SPARC arch? (sun4[cdmu])
> >

> i was running 2.0.35 and libc6 2.0.105 on a sparc staion ipx. in the
> mean time i managed to fix my system by extracting the old libc
> library to a temporary directory and then copying it to /lib and
> running ldconfig -v. once i got the system sort of working again, i
> compiled 2.2.6 (which i am running right now) and installing libc
> 2.1.1 went without any problems. i remember having the same problems
> on a powerpc (with chown and 2.0.x vs > 2.1.100 kernels). anyway
> things are sort of back to normal now. the only problem i still have
> is with apt-get it just sits there forever using up 100% cpu time.
> this is apt 0.3.4. if anybody has any ideas how to fix this please let
> me know.

Bingo, glibc 2.1.1 requires a 2.2 kernel. The 2.2 kernels run better on
sparc anyway. IPX is sun4c correct? If so then you can use the stock
2.2.5 source and the glibc 2.1.1 should work just fine.

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>                        Debian GNU/Linux
OpenLDAP Dev - bcollins@openldap.org     The Choice of the GNU Generation