Re: Ethernet Timeouts on sun4c?

On Sat, Apr 24, 1999 at 01:32:52PM -0600, James Bielman wrote:
> Recently I have noticed an interesting problem on some of my Debian installs
> on sun4c machines.  Both my IPX and a co-worker's SPARC 2 intermittently
> "drop" off the network, unless traffic is generated in it's local subnet.
> Ie., I can't ping the machine from home, but if I ping it from another machine
> on the same hub, it seems to "wake up".
>
> The IPX and the Sparc2 are located on different subnets -- one on a standard
> 10 Mbps hub, and another on a 10/100 switched hub.
>
> Is this a known bug, and are there any workarounds other than setting up a
> crontab to ping the IPX every 10 minutes?  ;-)

I saw something similar, read TPE failure and it switched to the AUI
port until I tried to ping it. I believe it has something to do with
the auto interface stuff (PROM or kernel, not sure).

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>                        Debian GNU/Linux
OpenLDAP Dev - bcollins@openldap.org     The Choice of the GNU Generation