2.88MB floppy images for sparc ? (was: Re: new sparc boot-floppies in progress)

Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> writes:
>
> > Steve Dunham wrote:
>
> > > Eric: please add the "-U" flag to silo when making the sparc32
> > > floppies, and "-u" when making the sparc64 floppies.  This guarantees
> > > that the correct boot block is put onto the floppy.
> >
> > Sorry I don't have time to work for Debian until next week.
> > I keep this change in mind.
> > Anyway thanks for this information.
>
> Hmm... I looked into this but it looks like it might take some work
> since there's only one silo image (silo1440.gz) for all purposes...
> I'll have to let Eric handle this.

Ok, I will try to work on it next week-end.

OTOH some users asked for installation directly from harddisk because they
don't have other boot device connected to the host (like cdrom or floppy
drives).
I saw some experiments using the swap partition by dumping the rescue & root
images to it.  This approach is a bit tricky because the start of initrd image
have to be passed to the kernel by hand.
Maybe building one big image storing both the kernel & the root image could
solve this problem.  Moreover this image could fit on 2.88MB floppy disk. That
will allow a one floppy boot on sparc with such drives.  But which sparc are
using them ?