X server just kills itself !?

Hi,
Since I recompiled a 2.2.1 kernel, X server just quit and return to xdm every 1-2 minutes.
The server freeze, then goes black and...stops.

A message on the console says: modprobe error: unable to find module fb1 (same message with fb2)
Of course, I didn't find any module with that name anywhere (even in the .config file)

I have no idea what happend, X doesn't seem to crash while I'm logging as root.

I'm running Xsun (8 bit) server on a PowerLite laptop (Sun4m compatible.. work fine with linux for 9 months)

Everything's okay with pre-compiled kernel.

Any idea ?
Sincerely,
max
--