Re: new bootdisks uploaded

Christian Meder writes:
 > On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 09:22:22AM +0100, Eric Delaunay wrote:
 > > John Chapman wrote:
 > > > I've just tried the new tftpboot-2.2.1.img.2.1.8.1-sparc image on an LX;
 > > > alas, although the keyboard input now works, setting up the network fails
 > > > at "route" (I tried it by hand; ifconfig works, but "route add -net
 > > > 192.168.1.0" fails with  SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument).
 > > >
 > > > I also tried a serial console tftpboot on an SS2, and get the same error
 > > > at the same place.
 > >
 > > I always got this message with 2.2.1 kernel, but since the installation was
 > > working fine for me, I didn't dig into the problem.
 > > It could caused by the netbase package.  AFAIK slink is no fully ready for 2.2
 > > kernel support.
 > > Is it critical for installation ?
 > >

 > No, it isn't. With the 2.2.x kernels there's no need to add a route anymore.
 > The kernel adds it automagically. If you are sure that you'll stay with the
 > 2.2.x kernels you can comment out the 'route' commands in /etc/init.d/network
 > after installation.
 >
 > If you leave the route commands alone it won't hurt. You'll only notice them
 > at bootup when you get the error messages otherwise it works fine.

Thank for this possst. I have tried to find out what is  wrong with
this message (which I got both from my linux intel as well as on a
sparc) for a while and have posted the question to various newsgropu
without getting an answer.

But I still have a question: how do the kernel find out the gateway 's
address (could it find out by itself ?). In the /etc/networks (of
debian-slink) I have

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=129.88.33.95
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=129.88.33.0
BROADCAST=129.88.33.255
GATEWAY=129.88.33.253
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

The GATEWAY adressed have been entered at installation time. If the
route add command is rejected by the kernel, how do it knows this
address. (especialy in this case where this adress is not
129.88.33.254 as often is but 129.88.33.253)

PHAM Dinh Tuan                         | e-mail: Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr
Laboratoire de Modelisation et Calcul  | Tel: +33 4 76 51 44 23
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble cedex (France)   | Fax: +33 4 76 63 12 63