Re: Fixed silo uploaded (Was: something wierd about silo...)

Steve Dunham wrote:
> I'm uploading a silo NMU to fix a (unfiled) critical bug.  Namely,
> that silo won't boot CDs on many systems (particularly Sun4m).  The
> issue is the kernel overwriting the RAM disk (not the kernel
> executable, but the kernel overwrites the RAM disk while it's
> initializing memory management) - solution is to give the kernel a
> little more headroom.  (It had about 1MB of space between the end of
> the kernel and the RAM disk, but apparently that wasn't enough.)

I have had to shrink down the size of the 2.0.35 kernel (by removing one or
two drivers) to be able to load the ramdisk.  It worked on SparcClassic but
maybe the kernel is allocating more memory in sparc10 and co :-((
Thanks for fixing this problem.

BTW, I need to upload kernel-image_2.0.35-4 package, which was used to build
my latest bootdisks, but should I have to upload kernel-headers along with it ?

> Eric - the patched silo does not have to go onto the boot floppies,
> but it is essential that it is used for making CDROMs (in particular
> the "second.b" file from the patched version must be used).
>
> The patched version has been tested on a Sparc10, Sparc20, and Sparc2.
> The patch only affects the loading of the initial ramdisk by SILO
> (cdrom boots) - it doesn't affect RAM disks loaded by the kernel
> (floppy boots) or RAM disks in tftpboot images.
>
> Also, the new package is properly split into original source and a
> diff file.

OTOH, there is still a bug in the /dev/fb* devices (bad permissions I guess).
I don't know if I will have time to upload a new set of bootdisks that fixes
it.  I will be out of my town till sunday night, and the time to release is
now really short.  If I need to upload them, I'm afraid I cannot do it before
next monday evening :-((
Therefore, could it be fixed in the postinst of xserver-xsun* packages instead?
Or could it be just well documented in a bug section of the documentation ?

Regards.