Re: partitions for sun sparc 10

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Armin Wegner wrote:

> I would like to install debian on a sun sparc 10 with 64 megs and
> 4 gigs of disk space.
> How many partitions can I create? Are there primary and extended partitions?
> There are following partitions on the system now.
>
> /root	128.25 MB
> /swap	128.25 MB
> /var	128.25 MB
> /opt	128.25 MB
> /usr	128.25 MB
> /usr/local	1.13 GB
> /home	2.26 GB
>
> Can you give me some hints, please?

OK.  Hints:

I don't use /opt, so I'd dump that.  You may not want to.

/var is good.  / is good.  swap is good.

I'd be inclined to make /usr bigger.  Bear in mind that with debian,
you're using the package manager to install lots of stuff in /usr, so you
want a big /usr.  300 is nice.  500 will be roomy.

/home and /usr/local are entirely up to how you plan to use the machine.
Most compile-it-yourself programs are inclined to install into /usr/local.

Jules