Re: Stall on debian sparc installation with version 2.0.35

Lance wrote:
> Greetings Debian Group,
> [...]
> and 4 CY605c processors.  I am also installing through the serial ttya console port as this machine has
> no keyboard nor video adapter.
>
> The command line I entered at the ok prompt was:
>
> "boot net console=ttya"
>
> [...]
>
>  sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4 sdb5 sdb6 sdb7 sdb8
>  sdc: sdc1 sdc2 sdc3 sdc4 sdc5 sdc6 sdc7 sdc8
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 40k code, 4k data

Ok, I found the problem :-))

The miniroot fs is missing /dev/cua* devices.  I upgraded my system to makedev
2.3.1-14 before making the bootdisks and they don't create cua devices anymore :-((

In the meantime before my next upload, you can fix it yourself:

1. uncompress root.bin:   zcat root.bin > root.unz
2. mount it:              mount -o loop root.unz /mnt
3. create the device:     mknod /mnt/dev/cua0 c 5 64
4. compress it again:     umount /mnt ; gzip -9c root.unz > root.bin

Hope this help.

In a short term, I don't know the better way to fix this problem:

- patch the kernel to using /dev/ttySx instead of /dev/cuax
  (are other architectures still using cua devices in their 2.0 kernel ?)

- ask the makedev maintainer to revert back and still provide cua devices

- just create these devices while building boot-floppies

Any/all help appreciated.