Re: sparc hardware added to boot-floppies Installation Manual

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> On 02 Feb 1999 19:34:37 -0500, Steve Dunham <dunham@cse.msu.edu> said:
> > : Debian 2.1 supports four architectures: Intel x86-based architectures;
> > : Motorola 680x0 machines such as Atari, Amiga, and Macintoshes; DEC
> > : Alpha machines, and SPARC machines. These are referred to as i386,
> > : m68k, and alpha, respectively.
>
> > That last line should read:

> >   m68k, alpha, and sparc, respectively.

> Wierd, that's how it reads in my copy.

Perhaps the web site was out of date... I cut and pasted that text
from Netscape.

> > There are still some yet to be determined details.  We will have
> > UltraSparc support in slink, but I don't know if the floppies will
> > work on those architectures.  I'm having little luck with floppies.
> > I can't get anything to boot in the Ultras - not even the
> > UltraPenguin image.

> Well, AFAIK, sparc64 is a separate arch, isn't it? I thought it was,
> and that sparc but not sparc64 was releasing slink.

> I must be confused?

There will not be a sparc64 release of Debian for a long time _but_
the "sparc" Debian runs just fine on an Ultra as long as you're using
a 64-bit kernel.  The sparc64 kernel does sparc "emulation" -
essentially, it can run 32-bit binaries, and handles the 32-bit
syscalls appropriately.  This is how the UltraPenguin distribution
works.

So the Sparc distribution in slink will run on Ultras.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu