cdrecord package is broken

The cdrecord 1.6final-0.2 package for sparc is broken.
cdrecord gives me the following error:

# cdrecord dev=6,0 -toc
Cdrecord release 1.6 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '6,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 6 lun: 0
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 2
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'YAMAHA  '
Identifikation : 'CRW4260         '
Revision       : '1.0h'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Bus error

I tracked down the problem and it seems there is a problem with word
alignement in this version.  I then compiled 1.8a9 and it works.
Alternatives:
 1. remove this package from the sparc tree
 2. provide a patch to this release (I don't have time to do it)
 3. move to a newer one

Regards.