Re: sparc autocompile

On Wed, Aug 19, 1998 at 07:41:19PM -0400, Johnie Ingram wrote:

> "Dale" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> Dale> try to build the 2.0.7 packages on the Kachina machine, and see
> Dale> how that goes, before I try the 2.0.95 there.
>
> Out of boredom I compiled the 2.0.95 and found it worked on my own
> sparc, but not on the ultra -- all the shells either died in a
> segmentation fault or hung completely.  This was with a sparc-linux
> host/target though (the binutils gagged on a real sparc64 target).

Is the a sparc target supposed to work on a sparc64 ?

> Just dropping in the current 2.0.92-980414 works somewhat better, but
> for some reason dpkg --install won't work: it insists the .deb
> contains an invalid data archive.
>
> And incidentially fileutils are compiled against a glibc 2.1 so old
> it doesn't work with 2.0.95.

Did you include the ld-patch which allows you to run old binaries ? It's in
the debian/patches subdir.

I think we should get a 2.0.95 updated libc sometime soon (at least to fix
the header inclusion problem ;-)

I will try to build on my sun4m here. Will you build the 2.0.95 version,
Johnie or should I try to do it ? I will go from the 2.0.95 packaging from
http://master.debian.org/~espy

Greetings,

				Christian
--