Re: 2.0.35 turbosparc kernel

Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Kris> How does one go about installing this kernel on a virgin
>     Kris> disk (no linux yet).  With other words: does someone has a
>     Kris> bootable image that I can use to install a complete
>     Kris> distribution from ? (I just got a second HD for my SS5/170
>     Kris> and would like to install Linux on it).
>
> This relates specifically to Debian/sparc...
>
> You can get most of the way there following the boot-disk instruction.
> The section on TFTP/NFS-root should explain things.  The only catch,
> however, is that the base system install won't be able to read
> resc1440.bin r drv1440.bin as loopback devices aren't supported on NFS
> mounted volumes.
>
> It's not terribly complicated to manually extract their contents but
> I've completely forgotten how I did it... and my mirror seems to have
> lost everything sparc related (*WTFIRFT*) so I can't recheck.

Hmm, latest boot floppies take care of this problem and copy the images to
the local disk (under /target) if mounting them via loop device is not working
(just ignore the I/O error message you could see on the installation screen: it
is sent by the kernel in the first try, so I don't have a chance not to display
it.  However I catch the error, copy the image to the local disk, then remount
it loopback).

Regards.