Re: tftpboot.img (+ offering kernel pkgs)

Jules Bean wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr wrote:
>
> >  > I tcpdump'ed the period while it is waiting, and the SPARC is doing lots
> >  > of ACK commands, clearly waiting for something.  Believing that redhat's
> >  > tftp was broken, I first updated it, and secondly copied across my debian
> >  > one, but these didn't fix it.
> >  >
> >  > Eventually, on a whim, I noticed that the tftpboot.img is a odd-number of
> >  > bytes long.  I used dd to pad it with zeros to the nearest 4-byte
> >  > boundary, and tried again.  It works!  So this appears to be some
> >  > alignment issue with the SPARC's tftp code.
> >
> > Can you explain more what you are doing. I may try it too.
>
> There is probably a neater way, but I did
>
> dd bs=2516356 if=tftpboot.img of=tftpboot.img.new conv=sync

Congratulations :-))) you fixed the bug I discovered before I released my
boot-floppies but never found why tftp didn't work on some of my sparcs !!!
Many thanks for your help.  I will remember it for the next release.

> It's *very* quiet in here at the moment... I guess the debian-sparc guys
> are busy at the moment.  So, if you're listening, I'm happy to help
> out... :-)

I was on holiday ;-)
Now I'm back, but I have nearly no time to work on debian now :-(  I hope I
will be able to build new boot disks in 2 or 3 weeks, but I should update my
debian mirror before (I'm guessing there are hundreds of MB to download
(src+bin) since my last update, one month ago ;-( ).

I'd rather like not to maintain kernel / kernel-patches for sparc anymore, due
to the lack of time I could spend to debian.  However, I would want to continue
development on boot-floppies package: I've a good knowledge of it and my 4
sparcs (2 sparc2 & 2 sparcClassic) are good candidates to do some trial during
the debugging process.

So, if someone wants to take over my kernel-patches-*-sparc package and build &
package new kernel (eg. 2.0.35 with turbosparc patch), I will use it in my next
boot disks.

Regards.